Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Its all about me

I have struggled throughout my life trying to make others happy by putting my own feelings and needs aside. I would constantly worry about what others thought of me or how I could make people like me. The last few years I realized that focusing on making others happy made me miss out on my own happiness. I would continuously search for approval from others and try to be someone that I clearly wasn't.
Having realized that I was not focusing on myself and my needs...I made a change for the better. No longer do I compromise who I am to impress others. If I feel the need to be someone I am not to make that person like me, then clearly they are not someone I need in my life. So what if I say things that are politically incorrect, laugh at people when they hurt themselves (not seriously of course), and take an extra piece of cake when there may not be enough for everyone. I am learning to be selfish...not entirely selfish, but just a little.

We all need to look out for ourselves once in a while even if it means buying yourself a really great bike when you should be saving for something far more important. I know who my friends are and frankly I really don't need anymore. Don't get me wrong, I would love to meet new people and expand my network of friends, but if they don't cut it, I am not going to feel guilty about it. The friends I have make me happy, are proud of me, and support me no matter what stupid decisions I may make, which lately have been many.

So from now on...it's all about me, and I kinda like it.

6 comments:

Kerstin said...

Being selfish is a hard thing to do. Believe me I know. Good for you for recognizing that it's not always a bad thing! :)

KellyNerd said...

Here's to it being "All About You"! =)

Anonymous said...

Refreshing. Seriously. I needed to be reminded to remember ME. There's such a value placed on serving others... to the point of it being unhealthy. Good for you for riding that bike and eating as much cake as you want. ;)

Anonymous said...

Being selfish is healthy to an extent - if you don't take care of yourself and set your own goals, boundaries and guidlines no one else will do it for you...being selfish builds character:-)

MARFSBABY said...

I'm the first one to say hear hear on this my friend. And I hope someone I know reads this... It's not about her enough... and lives her whole life for and around her child and everyone else before herself. I'm the exact opposite in that I believe you have to take care of yourself first so you're in the right place to be right for the people in your life. She just thinks I'm selfish.

kristin said...

I LOVE this! AMEN and more power to you! I need to follow in your footsteps. :)